Tuesday, April 22, 2014

52 Week Savings Challenge: Week 25

So here we are a week away from our halfway point. In exactly 26 weeks, half of the Savings Challenge will be officially over! I am actually surprised by how fast it has gone by, but not surprised in the least by how hard it has been. I will admit, I did have to skip a week or two and make up for those weeks later. It was not too long ago that I was on week one praying for the weeks to fly by, and what do you know, Christmas is here!

Christmas just happens to be my most favorite time of the year. I love the carols, movies, good food, time with family and friends, and just the spirit of the season, in general. However, it seems that every year the spirit of Christmas dies just a little bit. More and more people are focused on gifts, who can get the most for their money, and making sure they are giving the latest and greatest item. This, in my opinion, is destroying Christmas. The season does not feel quite the same as it used to. This is why I am actually grateful that I am doing the Challenge right now.

My spending has been minimal, to say the least. I have only purchased one small gift so far and it was about $30.00. I only plan on purchasing two additional gifts which will also be in the same price range. I was taught as a child that it is not about gifts, Santa, or even decorations. It is about the birth of Christ, family and friends, and the true Christmas spirit.

I have not purchased any new Christmas decorations or spent money on treats or clothing for parties or any Black Friday shopping. I have stayed home and enjoyed Christmas movies and spent time with my family. I have enjoyed being happy and not getting caught up in the hustle and bustle of the commercialized Christmas season. The Challenge has helped me emphasize the meaning behind the saying, “Christmas is the season of giving.” Giving does not have to mean a material object. You can give your special talents, knowledge, memories, a helping hand, time, and, of course, love!

Not every gift comes wrapped in pretty paper and a bow. I plan on giving many of these unwrapped gifts this Christmas. They have more meaning and it saves me money! Double win! If you are participating in the Challenge or just want to save money this holiday season, perhaps you will think of giving these types of gifts this year too. Have a very Merry Christmas and a joyful New Year!


Total Savings: $325

By: Tawny Ormes
      Marketing Projects Coordinator
      and TBT Webmaster

No comments:

Post a Comment

WARNING: This is a public site. Please do not post any personal and/or financial information that may make you vulnerable to identity theft.